“Dhwani”- Newborn hearing assessment center
• Government Lady Goschen Hospital & KMC Mlore
• Inaugurated on 7th January 2020.
• The center has a full-fledged hearing screening system and a portable diagnostic test equipment
• 8583 babies have been tested so far.
Kasturba Medical College , Mangaluru inaugurated ‘Dhwani’ - the new born hearing assessment centre – at the Government Lady Goschen Hospital in 2020. Located at the neonatal ward on the third floor of the new building of the hospital, the centre has two sophisticated equipments placed in a soundproof room to test the hearing loss of newborns.
Lady Goschen Hospital records 750 births every month. Suja Sreedharan, Professor and Chief of ENT Department of KMC Hospital, said hearing loss is seen in four of every 1,000 newborns.
It was necessary to screen hearing loss soon after the birth and provide necessary treatment. All the children born at the Lady Goschen will be screened and provided necessary diagnosis for free. The new centre has been set up out of the contribution by Anuradha Gopal Pai. A programme to sensitise ASHA workers about new born hearing assessment was held at the Sushrutha hall of the KMC Hospital, Attavar.
1. Devadas, Usha (2021) Cross-Cultural Adaptation and Validation of the Evaluation of the Ability to Sing Easily (EASE) for Kannada-Speaking Carnatic Classical Singers. Journal of Voice, 35 (4). pp. 1-5. ISSN 0892-1997
2. Bhat, Mayur and Prakash, Hari and Varsha, U and Krishna, Y (2021) Development and validation of an automated dichotic double word test in Indian English using MATLAB. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 144. pp. 1-6. ISSN 0165- 5876
3. Gundmi, Archana and Mohan, Kishan Madikeri (2021) Effect of carnatic music listening training on speech in noise performance in adults. Journal of Audiology and Otology, 25 (1). pp. 22-26. ISSN 2384-1621
4. Tiwari, Shivani and Suresh, Kiran and Krishnan, Gopee (2021) Literacy profile of children with language impairment: Evidence from an alphasyllabary. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, 73 (5). pp. 355-366. ISSN 1021-7762
5. Vasudevan, Harini and Ganapathy, Kanaka and Palaniswamy, Hari Prakash and Bellur, Rajashekhar (2021) Systematic review and meta-analysis on the effect of continuous subjective tinnitus on attention and habituation. PeerJ, 9 (5). pp. 1-25. ISSN 2167-8359
6. Yerraguntla, Krishna (2021) Validation of the brief international classification of functioning, disability and health (ICF) core set for hearing loss: an international multicentre study. International Journal of Audiology, 60 (6). pp. 412-420. ISSN 1708-8186
7. Sharma, Vasudha and Devadas, Usha (2021) A survey of vocal health in church choir singers. European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, 278. pp. 2907-2917. ISSN 0937-4477
8. Chaudhary, Chanchal and Guddattu, Vasudeva and Krishnan, Gopee (2021) A systematic review on the role of language-related factors in the manifestation of stuttering in bilinguals. Journal of Fluency Disorders, 68. pp. 1-16. ISSN 0094-730X
9. Athira, Usha Rajan and Devadas, Usha (2020) Adaptation and validation of vocal fatigue index (vfi) to malayalam language. Journal of Voice, 34 (5). pp. 810-815. ISSN 0892-1997
10. Krishnan, Gopee (2020) Aphasia in Neurology Practice: A Survey about Perceptions and Practices. Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology, 23 (2). pp. 162-170. ISSN 0972-2327
11. Somnath, Amrutha and Gundmi, Archana and Bhargavi, PG and Rai, Shwetha (2020) Comparison of Cognitive Functions in Elderly Population with and without Hearing Loss. Indian Journal of Otology, 26 (3). pp. 163-167. ISSN 0971-7749
12. Bhat, Mayur and Palanyswamy, Hari Prakash and Venkat, Smruthi and Krishna, Y (2020) Development and validation of dichotic double digit test in Kannada. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, 138. pp. 1-8. ISSN 0165- 5876
13. Thomas, Jyothi and Rajashekhar, B and Kamath, Asha (2020) Diagnostic accuracy and agreement between visual acuity charts for detecting significant refractive errors in preschoolers. Clinical and Experimental Optometry, 103 (3). pp. 347-352. ISSN 0816-4622
14. Tiwari, Shivani and Suresh, Kiran and Krishnan, Gopee (2020) Literacy Profile of Children with Language Impairment: Evidence from an Alphasyllabary. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica, 73 (5). pp. 1-12. ISSN 10217762
15. Devadas, Usha (2020) Prevalence of and Risk Factors for Self-Reported Voice Problems
16. John, Sunila and Veena, KD and Nelson, Hanna and Aithal, Venkataraja U and Patil, Rekha and Rajashekhar, B (2020) Process Density Index (PDI) scores in typically developing children between 3;0 to 7;0 years of age: evidence from dravidian Tulu. Child Language Teaching and Therapy, 36 (3). pp. 215-226. ISSN 0265-6590